RSS might not be the newest technology in town. But damn it is effecient.
In the age of noice of push notifications, this not disturbing delivery system has became how i consume the internet. From independent blogs (the non-kneelers part of social internet!),to big major publisher sites, podcasts and a lot of other platforms(reddit subreddits, youtube channels, etc) have native rss support. Some additional tools provide rss for non-supporting ones.
Apart from variety of sources for getting information. Here are the best deals you get using rss
- simple tech, reliable tech. probably will be around for long time
- no push, it is up you - you get the information when you want to
- chronological order
- ability to getting enough of the internet - it is a key to the lost of art of ‘getting satisfaction from the internet in reasonable time and calling it a day’
- you add and discover your sources
- discover and dont forget to check independent personal blogs (like mine:D)
- probably a lot lot less data collection on propietary rss services than not-rss services
Isn't it beutiful!
Pro-Tip: Some feeders can fetch the article content into the feed. Therefore eventhough all article is not sent by the rss, you can read it in your reader.(afaik; inoreader and tt-rss(via readability plugin) are capable.
Some additional links
- inoreader - the one i used before. proprietary. free option exists.
- feedly - most popular i guess. proprietary. free option exists.
- tiny tiny rss - the one i use now. open-source, self-hosted
- fresh rss - open-source, self hosted